The Safe Fuel

First of all, we can all testify to the fact that nobody will like to have a barrel of petrol anywhere close to his home but agree to the fact that there is at least a cylinder filled with LPG in almost every home either in a compound or inside a kitchen. Obviously, we feel safe and comfortable around cylinder gas because of its clean and efficient burning and can get with it for forever. Yet, most of us overlook LPG as a friendly energy product and assume it is dangerous when used as fuel in vehicles. Well, it is the same LPG in our home cylinders that could serve as fuel for automobiles and many other applications. Fuelling a vehicle with LPG is as safe and simple as with Petrol or Diesel. Below are some of the reasons for its safety;

LPG is safe

  • 1. LPG is readily liquefied under moderate pressures with density ranging from 0.525 to 0.580 @ 15 °C and has a Vapor Pressure of 6-7 bar

  • 2. LPG has an auto-ignition temperature of 920-1020 °C, hence will not ignite on its own at normal temperature whereby petrol has an auto-ignition temperature of 80-330 °C

  • 3. LPG is stored in liquid form under pressure in a steel container, cylinder or tank and its non-toxic and non-corrosive.

  • 4. LPG is free of tetra-ethyl Lead, benzene and additives

  • 5. LPG has lower flammability range than conventional petrol, hence decreases the probability of accidental combustion. In the tank, LPG is quite inflammable

  • 6. Unlike Petrol, which degrades in storage, LPG can be stored indefinitely and accessed quickly.

  • 7. Should a rare accidental release of gas occur, LPG would dissipate into the atmosphere with no harmful contaminants released into the air, soil or water.

EXOGAS Systems are safe

  • >> EXOGAS conversions are performed with high standard systems and standardized carbon steel tanks other than most petrol tanks which are made of plastics.

  • >> EXOGAS tanks are 20 times more puncture resistant and can withstand 4 times the pressure when compared to conventional petrol vehicle tanks. All tanks are well stress-tested to many times its normal operating pressure

  • >> Autogas tanks are filled to 80% maximum, leaving 20% space to allow for expansion to prevent pressure build up

  • >> There are two electronically controlled shut-off solenoids which stop the flow of LPG to the engine whenever the engine stops for any reason


  • >> Components includes pressure relief valves which prevents any pressure build up that may damage the system, or be hazardous

  • >> Components have sealed compartments and venting around valves and pipe-works to ensure no LPG enters the interior of the vehicle

  • >> EXOGAS systems have been approved to ensure no long service life

  • >> Every EXOGAS trained personnel complies with rigorous GSA, EPA and European Standards for installation, inspection and servicing of the entire gas system and vehicle as a whole

LPG Fuelling is safe

  • Presence of a double back-check valve to ensure autogas tight filling and prevent LPG backflow.

  • Refueling is done by a secondary fuel pipe which only fits nozzles from LPG pumps, so there is no risk of putting the wrong type of fuel in

  • LPG fueling stations have a lock-off valve that automatically shuts off the flow of gas at the tank if any pressure drop is detected anywhere throughout the system.

  • According to the Dutch Research Agency TNO, the safety of modern autogas vehicles is better than that of petrol vehicles.
    Still having doubts about Autogas safety? See video proof here.